Dangerous flammable vapors are released in your home or garage every time there is a spill, or when the container of gasoline or other flammable liquid is not properly sealed. The silent, invisible vapors can travel, and if these vapors reach a source of ignition, like a faulty electric outlet, the spark from a running motor, or the pilot light of a home appliance, the vapors can ignite...and blow you clean out of the house.
Gasoline should always, be tightly sealed in an approved container, kept out of the house and out of the reach of children. Seal both the spout on the container and the vent.
And never keep gasoline anywhere in the house. Keep it away from the ignition sources, in a detached garage or shed, keep it tightly sealed and away from children.
Read examples of burn injuries and law suits resulting from gasoline spills and related fires:
Gasoline Safety Can Fire - California